Guess what? June 23rd has finally arrived, which means my brand new romcom Take a Hint, Dani Brown has too. Alpha heroine Danika Brown and grumpy cinnamon roll Zafir Ansari are here, they’re queer (well, Dani is, anyway) and they’re ready to fake a relationship as viral sensation #DrRugbae!
It really is a fake relationship, though. 100% fake. No feelings here. None.
Anyways, you can buy the book now, or you can read on for a lil more info…
Flying in the face of all writerly good sense, I am about to compare my recent bestseller Get a Life, Chloe Brown (fibromyalgia, neighbours who hate each other, rogue pets) with its aforementioned new sequel Take a Hint, Dani Brown (misbehaving lifts, uncontrollable boobs, fake relationship shenanigans). This is because I know you guys loved Chloe, so this should help you predict whether or not you’ll love Dani, too.
Of course, I love all my chaotic babies equally, so this competition shall have no real winner. Chloe and Dani are sisters, for heaven’s sake! They’d never fight! Unless it was over the last piece of chocolate.
Five Differences Between Get a Life, Chloe Brown and Take a Hint, Dani Brown
1. The eponymous heroine of #GetALifeChloeBrown was all about that Cat Mum life. #TakeAHintDaniBrown is a certified Plant Mama 💁🏾♀️🌵Check out this moment when Dani’s hero, Zaf, first visits her flat…
Zaf finally turned away from the window, since Dani wasn’t around to spot the f*cking baseball bat stuffed down his jeans. “Distraction. That’s all I need, a distraction.” He had a feeling he was going to spend this entire fake relationship looking for distractions, because Danika got impossibly prettier and sweeter and smarter and sexier every time he saw her, like a very sophisticated torture device.
But he wasn’t going to think about that, not when he couldn’t do anything about it just yet. He was going to think about . . . about all the things in this huge studio apartment he’d never seen before. Like the books and statues and the pink sticky notes on the wall. Like the countless plants packed onto windowsills and counters, standing tall in ceramic pots, hanging from the ceiling, even. He ran his fingers over the fine prickles of a nearby cactus.
2. Redford Morgan was an easygoing charmer beloved by all his tenants (except Chloe, who thought he was a prat). Our new hero, Zafir Ansari, is a grumpy security guard with a foreboding glare, a deep devotion to bitchy sarcasm… and a secret love of romance novels?! 🤔 Here’s a glimpse:
“I beg your pardon,” she sputtered after a moment. “Did you just say you listen to romance novels?”
He grunted. “Well. I listen in the car, mostly. Read at home.”
Dani, in a shocking display of intelligence, repeated, “Romance novels. Actual romance novels. The novels. With the romance.”
Zaf gave her a flat, sharklike stare that sent another thrill of arousal down her spine, because apparently, she found him gorgeous even when he was annoyed. Possibly more so, in fact. “And?” His tone dared her to elaborate.
“Oh, behave,” she said, her surprise blooming into curiosity. “What do you think I’m going to do, question your masculinity and tell you kissing is for girls?”
After a moment, he admitted grudgingly, “Nah.”
“Then what’s the murder glare for?”
With complete seriousness, he told her, “This is just my face. I have a murder face.”
3. Chloe and Red were mortal enemies, whereas Dani and Zaf are tight af. If “tight af” means “she brings him coffee and banter on a regular basis; he occasionally fantasises about whisking her away to a desert island for the real-life equivalent of a romantic montage.”
He turned, and there was Danika Brown.
F*cking hypnotic, as always. She walked like she’d never stumbled, studying the empty foyer with feline eyes he had a bad habit of falling into. Her dark skin glowed prettily under the same fluorescent lights that made everyone else look ghostly, jaundiced, or gray. And even though he’d told himself a thousand times that panting after a friend—a work friend, a work friend who might also be gay—was tacky at best and creepy at worst, lust slammed into Zaf like an illegal tackle.
4. Chloe and Red got, erm, DIRTY in public places. Dani and Zaf save the filth for their secret sex pact. 😈
“I get that you want casual. But as long as we do this, Danika,” he murmured, “no one touches you but me.”
She swallowed hard, but to his relief, she didn’t argue. When she nodded, something vicious inside him sang to life. “Only you,” she whispered.
It was terrible, how perfect those words sounded on her lips. Dangerous, how much he wanted to hear them again, in a thousand different ways.
This might be the best bad idea he’d ever had.
5. Chloe and Red aren’t Twitter famous. Dani and Zaf are #DrRugbae. Here’s hoping their fans don’t figure out this ship is fake as hell.
It IS fake as hell, right?
Good luck finding out. 😉